When I went to university for political science, we talked a lot about gender roles and the lines that society defines for us. I thought that, one day, I would allow my kids to play with toys that they were interested in. I bought Reid a doll last summer and he played with it for fifteen whole minutes and then chucked it face down onto the carpet. He loves construction sights and dump trucks, but he also loves Dora and tea party sets. He seems to be more interested in "boy" stuff, but I will continue to offer him both. The world outside is a different story.
McDonald's employee: "Would you like a boy's toy or a girl's toy?"
Me: "Girl's please."
Reid never likes the boy toy, it's a faceless piece of plastic junk that he doesn't recognize. The girl's toy is a colourful, cute figurine of some kind. We had so many road trips last month that he was collecting all of the Strawberry Shortcake girls. He sat down with his Happy Meal and the table next to us stared at him while he played and loved his Plum Pudding figurine.
Last week, when I placed a head band on Laila, Reid wanted one too. He wore it all day long and when it would fall down he would get upset and ask me put it back up. When we walked into the gym daycare, the babysitter laughed at him.
Babysitter: "Reid what are you doing with that pink headband on your head?!"
Me: "I know! He looks great doesn't he?"
Today, we went grocery shopping and because he was so well behaved the whole trip, I let him choose a little lunch bag.
Me: "Barbie, Dora, Ponies, Hot Wheels or Thomas?"
Reid: Gasp! "Hot Wheels!"
Reid just likes what he likes. I hope he continues to reject the lines.
No comments:
Post a Comment