Monday, December 12, 2011

Street Christmas Party






This year we hosted the neighbourhood Christmas party. I was a bit concerned that so many kids and that many parents would have nowhere to sit or play or enjoy themselves so I had some tricks up my sleeve. I brought all of the toys upstairs to the second floor hallway and Reid's room and hired Michaela to babysit the kids. Knowing that the kids were being supervised parents could relax and enjoy themselves. I thought of two very simple games for the kids to play so that when they were getting antsy they had a game to play together. We threw a balloon in the air yelled out a name and the kid called had to catch it before it fell to the ground. Then we played stick the snowflake on Santa. The kids were very accurate which may indicate some cheating or poor bandana tying by me. Kids also opened presents in a gift exchange. I couldn't hand them out fast enough. Three kids were crying because their names hadn't been called yet. People didn't leave until 10:30, a crazy late time for a kids' party. The shooters were a hit and luckily we bought lots of wine, because it was almost all consumed. The highlight for me was watching Laila clap as I chanted, "Shot! Shot! Shot!" Jeff and I and many neighbours commented on how independent Laila is. She walked around all night totally independent stealing food off of kids' plates. She even made a 5 year old cry when she grabbed her chunk of cheesecake! Reid was an excellent host, happy to let all of the kids ransack his room and play with his toys. Not a small feat for an almost 3 year old! We were very proud of them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment